The Mechanical Gardens is building out our new home base at 195 Maujer Street in Brooklyn in the basement of St John’s Brooklyn. We’re getting set to introduce programming in the spring of 2016. This winter we’re hosting work parties at the space and making connections with neighbors and community organizations. It’s a great time to get involved!
- You! Come on board: we need people with the passion to prove that bikes change lives.
- Essential funding for tools, parts, and program costs, fellowships for local volunteers, and scholarships for conferences and professional training.
- Open fix-your-bike workshops and mobile clinics led by skilled volunteers.
- Repair and maintenance courses to develop self-sufficiency and community resiliency.
- Women and trans-only workshops solely for those identifying as women, trans, or gender-nonconforming.
- Facilitated group rides, including safe riding workshops.
- Classes on repairing kids’ bikes.
- Earn-a-bike programs, where bikes can be earned by volunteering.
- Program opportunities in Spanish, Yiddish, Chinese, and other languages.
- Allied programs with organizations in youth enrichment, gentrification resistance, economic enfranchisement, transportation equity, and environmental justice.